Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Zelda Runthrough: Majora's Mask

One of the most important duties of the critic is to give proper due to forgotten and underappreciated works of art.  With this in mind, I posit that Majora's Mask's relatively recent change in the public eye, from poor OoT copycat to beloved black sheep, is one of the greatest achievements of gaming's community of critics.  This game has finally gotten the recognition it's due, and plenty of gamers now consider it their favorite in the series (and depending on my mood, I occasionally join them).

I have a complicated history with this game myself.  After using my paper route money to buy this game and the N64 expansion pack I needed to play it, I was so disappointed with this game that I left it unfinished until a couple years ago.  There are plenty of reasons for fans of Ocarina to be disappointed by its successor.  The graphics look almost identical (despite the expansion pack), and the re-use of every single character model and mini-game makes Majora's Mask reek of cash-in.  The three-day mechanic throws you for a loop, adding a layer of anxiety and claustrophobia, in contrast to the pre-GTA open world feel of Ocarina.  And there's no sign of adult Link, one of my favorite aspects of the previous game.

One of the most bizarre things about Majora's Mask is that the game feels so different from Ocarina, despite looking and playing almost identically.  If Ocarina is about being a kid dreaming of adulthood, then Majora's Mask is about facing harsh realities during adolescence.  Suddenly, you're aware of the clock ticking, and of everything being about to change forever, and you struggle to hold on to the last vestiges of childhood.*

Majora's Mask is the darkest Zelda game since Zelda 2.  If you let the three days pass without playing the Song of Time you watch a horrifying cutscene of the world ending (and lose three days worth of work, which I found out the hard way).  The Sword of Damocles in the form of a giant, angry ball of rock hangs over your head at every instant.  Yet there are pockets of light in the form of the wonderful side quests, where you bring joy and solace to the inhabitants of Termina.  And even though you know that these accomplishments are completely erased with every rewind, you can't help but stay in the moment.

I may never put my finger on what makes this game so good, despite its many flaws.  The original name of this game was Zelda Gaiden (Sidestory); this fact gives me the impression that the designers wanted to make the game personal, that they knew it wouldn't appeal to everyone.  Along with all of the greatest Zelda games, Majora's Mask exists to invoke the past.  What sets it apart is its willingness, for just three days, to take off the rose-colored glasses.

*I first played this game when I was 13 and my parents were getting divorced, so my interpretation is quite personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment